Monday, March 10, 2008

Coalport

Coalport, PA... the little mountain town where we spent this past weekend. When I say little, I mean little... there's not even a stop light. What a sweet town. The sheer definition of podunk. My Grandma Betty grew up in this tiny little place. When she was a little girl there was this huge victorian house and she used to dream of living in it and having it someday. Well, my Pap Pap heard wind that it was for sale a few years ago and bought it, and then surprised her with it. She was overjoyed as you can imagine... all this to say, when we go up to Coalport this is where we stay. The reason we were up there is because Matt and my dad had to take a few deer stands down in Clearfield. (the town my dad grew up in about 45 min. from Coalport) So mom and I stayed at the house while the boys did their thing. It was very nice to get away... we don't get to very often! Here are a few pictures of Luke in his carseat on the way up. He did so good riding in the car for 3 1/2 hours. Luke was intrigued by this new place but did NOT want to sleep in the crib up there. So my mom held him on her chest all night long. (memories of his newborn days!) My grandma's sisters live up there too. Just a few towns away. And they came over to visit on Saturday afternoon. My Grandma Betty has 8 siblings... yeah I said 8! Grace is the second oldest and she's almost 83. Norma is number 7 in the family and she's 65. They LOVE Luke and seeing him was the highlight of their week and I'm sure they will be talking about it for the next few weeks! :) I have a few pictures of Grace holding little Luke. They are two of the absolute sweetest ladies around! I feel honored and blessed to be able to know them. They are my great aunts and so that means they are Luke's great great aunts! How special is that!













Saturday night we went into Clearfield for dinner at this great restaurant called Hedges. The food was awesome and the atmosphere was great. My dad saw two people he knew... crazy! But that's always the way it goes with my dad. Then we visited a long time friend of his. It was such a nice time to just get away and have a change of pace. Life is so much simpler and much slower in a town like Coalport. There's nothing too fancy about it, but it holds so much meaning to my dad's family. I love when we drive around and my dad tells us stories about my grandparents and shows us the houses they lived in years ago, and where my Grandma Betty first worked when she was a teenager. I want to hold onto those memories forever and be able to tell my kids and grandkids about them. Here are a few more pictures of Luke that I snapped while he was playing. All in all we had a wonderful weekend at the mountains. It was 20 degrees and snowing, but warm and fuzzy feelings were flooding my heart. I have so much to be thankful for.


1 comment:

Erin said...

Sounds like a fun weekend! The house sounds beautiful too! Guess what? Jeremy's dad has sisters named Grace and Norma also!