I can't believe it's almost Christmas. We wait all year for this holiday season to come around, and then when it finally does, it's gone in a flash. I have heard kids say they wish every day could be Christmas... but little do they realize that it would become so boring and there would be no specialness to it. (plus, us parents would have no money and be in debt up to our eyelashes!) So... my reason for reflecting on all of this is that I have to remind myself to ... STOP ... and realize the real reason for the season. There are days I still struggle to have joy during this amazing time. It is so freakin' easy to get caught up in all the material fluff. Buying gifts, making sure it's the perfect gift, baking cookies (which is one of my ABSOLUTE favorite Christmas things), wrapping (actually i did way more gift bags this year; those of you who don't have kids will understand once your 7 month old wants to grab the scissors and eat the paper because he just HAS to sit on the floor with you while you try to wrap!), singing carols... our culture has made it out to seem that it's all about STUFF! But we know it's not... and I believe God's desire is that we sincerely realize that what happened on that glorious day that took place so many years ago in a teeny, tiny, town was the ULTIMATE gift. We get this little newspaper called the "Merchandiser" for the Manheim and Lititz area. And it came on Wednesday and I was just so happily surprised to see that on the entire front cover was a huge picture of the wise men and the star with these verses written:"For there is born to you this day in the city of David a Savior, who is Christ the Lord. And this will be a sign to you: You will find the Babe wrapped in Swaddling cloths, lying in a manger." "Glory to God in the highest, And on earth peace, goodwill toward men!" Luke 2:11-12, 14
I was just so happy to see that someone recognized the real reason of Christmas. It made my heart flutter with joy. Sorry to get all sermon-ish on ya, but I have been feeling all these things and I just needed to blog about it! Despite it all, I am grateful for the knowledge that I have and how thankful I am to know personally, Jesus, the most AWESOME gift of all. Love to all!
1 comment:
Hey Buddy, well, that was a pretty convincing and good blog. lol. anyway, I just got word that we are actually going to hang out Christmas eve. So you'll be gone I think right? Well, to any extent, if you're gone, then I'll miss you, and if you're there, then I won't miss you. lol jk. If you're there, then we'll hang out. talk to you soon. Love you!
Kiersten
Post a Comment